Summertime Recipes for Healthy Bones
With summer fast approaching and increasingly warm temperatures, we might start to turn to foods that aren’t the healthiest…milkshakes, ice-cream, sugary drinks – anything to help us cool down! Now of course it’s okay to enjoy these types of treats, but all within moderation.
Let’s take a look at two healthy recipes that you can make and enjoy during the next few hot summer months. What’s special about these recipes is that they both include ingredients that are known to improve bone health and bone strength. Let’s check them out:
Spinach Ice Cream Recipe:
Okay, we know it might sound a bit gross for some who aren’t used to eating spinach, but this ice-cream recipe makes for an absolutely delicious and refreshing treat! It’s low in calories and is an awesome way to get in some fresh green produce. So – what’s so good about spinach?
- It boosts your digestion and protects your body from toxins.
- It contains a high amount of Vitamins A and C which aid in strong and healthy skin and hair.
- It contains vitamin K which aids in blood clotting and bone mineralization.
- It contains various vitamins that are known to strengthen bones and decrease the risk of obtaining bone fractures.
Basically – spinach is a superfood that contains a wide range of healthy nutrients such as potassium, magnesium, folate, and iron.
What you need:
- 2-3 drops of peppermint extract or vanilla extract (depending on what flavour you prefer)
- Pinch of salt
- 2 frozen bananas (bananas are a good choice if you want to maintain healthy and strong bones as they contain high levels of potassium)
- 2 tablespoons of your milk of choice
- A quarter or half cup of frozen spinach
- Add chocolate chips if you desire
Blend everything and voila! Spinach ice-cream – healthy and good for your bones!
(Note that if it is difficult to blend, try adding a few drops of water or the milk of your choice until it blends smoothly)
Yoghurt & Peach smoothie recipe:
- 1 Cup of raspberries (these berries are high in antioxidants and protect against cancer, obesity and arthritis).
- 2 cups of peeled and chopped up peaches (contains minerals such as potassium, copper, manganese, and phosphorous).
- 1 and a quarter cup of plain yoghurt (yoghurt is high in protein and may protect you against osteoporosis)
- 2 tablespoons of chopped up walnuts (these nuts contain a relatively high amount of manganese which has been shown to prevent osteoporosis in combination with the minerals copper (found in peaches) and calcium (found in yoghurt). It also contains magnesium – this is another mineral that aids in the absorption of calcium into bones).
Blend all ingredients together and there you have it! If you would prefer a colder smoothie, add two to three ice cubes before blending.
We hope you enjoyed these summertime recipes for healthy bones – give them a try!